M.S.General Surgery: Rajiv Gandhi University of health sciences , 2006, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum
M.Ch. Plastic Surgery, Maharashtra health science University, 2011, Seth G S Medial college and KEM Hospital, Mumbai
Fellowship in Reconstructive Oncology, HBNI university, 2013, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
Consultant – Plastic Surgeon, Punya Hospitals India Pvt Ltd, Bangalore
Awards: 2 Runner up in smile train sponsored quiz held at Ethicon APSICON Cleft . course in Nov, 2012Book An Appointment
Membership of: Member, Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, Professional Bodies Member, Association of Breast Surgeons of India
Member, Indian medical association
Areas of interest: Breast surgery, aesthetic surgery, Micro vascular surgery.
Resume of Work Done:
During residency in general surgery, I have been well trained in the management of all varieties of surgical conditions, including trauma, malignancy and other acute surgical emergencies.
The Department of Plastic Surgery at the Seth G S Medical College and KEM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai is a 52 bedded unit. It provides Plastic Surgical Care for congenital and acquired hand and facial deformities, acute burn and post burns deformities, cranio-maxillo-facial and hand injuries, as well as cosmetic and aesthetic surgery services. As a resident, I have been well trained to perform independently a wide range of re constructive and aesthetic surgical operations, as well as to provide emergency care for facial and limb injuries
Tata Memorial Hospital is the leading center in oncology and oncological reconstruction. Plastic surgery department performs about 400 free flaps and 500 other major reconstructions per year.
Fellowship training provided a vast experience for all aspects of reconstruction, including free flaps to various areas like head and neck, breast, chest wall, perineal and limb reconstruction. The experience in managing various size defects in all parts of body with free/ pedicle flaps was very enriching. I have experience of around 130 free flaps being performed independently and I have been part of around 550 major reconstructive surgeries overall.
- Study of ALT perforators in Indian population : IJPS accepted for publication
- Original article: A unique method of Hepatico-Jejunostomy for post Cholecystectomy CBD injury: case report of 2 cases (V. M. Uppin, I. V. Uppin, R. B. Patil, Prashant Puranik: Journal Of Scientific Society: 2005 (1,2) 11-13)
- Sacro-coccygeal teratoma in adults: a rare case report with review of literature (V .M. Uppin, A. C. Pangi, Sanjay Karpoor, Prashant Puranik: Journal Of Scientific Society: 2005 (1,2) 70-71)
- Ectopia vesicae in adult : Cystectomy with continent W pouch urinary diversion (V .M. Uppin, R. B. Nerli, Prashant puranik, Amol Mutkekar : Journal Of Scientific Society: 2005 (3,4) 96-98)
1. Hypospadias (experience of 47 cases) : Urologic society of India 39th Annual conference , institute of medical sciences, Benares Hindu University, 2-5th February 2006
2. Peripheral Nerve Schwannoma : A report of 4 cases : APSICON 2009, Mahabalipurum for kamath best poster
3. Forearm Eumycetoma masquerading as soft tissue sarcoma of forearm: ISSH 2010, Nashik for best paper
4. Trans-peritoneal transfer of islanded VRAM flap for sacral defects: APSICON 2012, Lucknow as a free short paper
5. Double free flaps in head and neck reconstruction: when do we need: APSICON 2012, Lucknow as a free paper
6. Reconstruction of Humerus defects after sarcoma resection with vascularized fibula flaps: 12th triennial congress of IFSSH 2013
7. An algorithm for recipient vessel selection in head and neck microsurgical reconstruction: APSICON 2013 as a free long paper
8.Oblique branch of AT flap : clinical implications in head and neck reconstruction: APSICON 2013 as a free short paper
9. Thoraco-acromial vessel: an alternative vessel in free flap breast reconstruction: APSICON 2013 as a free short paper
1. “RCT to compare the speech outcome in pushback palatoplasty with or without primary pharyngeal flap in patients with cleft palate” for the M.S general surgery
2. “Effect of co-morbidity on free flap survival in head and neck reconstruction” for fellowship exit exam
Workshops, CME’S & Lectures:
1. Organizing team member of Aesthetic CME series- Live Operative breast workshop
2. Lecture on Skin antisepsis and wound healing at 10th certificate course in hospital infection control – 6th January 2012
3. Member of faculty and Organizing team member of monthly oncorecon courses between July 2012 – may 2013.
4. PG lecture : Lip reconstruction at bimonthly meet of MAPS
5. Lecture on Latissimussi Dorsi Flap harvest and clinical applications at July 2012 oncorecon.
6. Lecture on Pectoralis Major Flap harvest and clinical applications at July 2012 oncorecon.
7. Lecture on local flaps in head neck reconstruction at September 2012 oncorecon
8. Lecture on free DIEP harvest and clinical applications at September 2012 oncorecon.
9. Lecture on free fibula flap harvest and clinical applications at December 2012 oncorecon.
10. Lecture on free ALT flap harvest and clinical applications at December 2012 oncorecon.
11. Lecture on Free radial artery harvest and clinical applications at January 2013 oncorecon.
12. Lecture on free Jejunal flap harvest and clinical applications at January 2013 oncorecon.
13. Lecture on free DIEP flap harvest and clinical application at March 2013 oncorecon.
14. Lecture on free fibula flap harvest and clinical applications at March 2013 oncorecon.
15. Lecture on free ALT flap harvest and clinical applications at April 2013 Oncorecon
16. Lecture on Pectoralis major flap harvest and clinical applications at April 2013 oncorecon.
17. Lecture on Functional anatomy of eyelids at symposium on peri-orbital reconstruction and aesthetic surgery, June 2013
International 1. 12th triennial congress of the IFSSH 2013 at New Delhi: 4-8th March 2013
National 1.APSICON 2009: 44th Annual Conference of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, GRT Temple Bay resort, Mahabalipuram, Chennai : 5th to 9th Aug 2009
2. APSICON 2012: 47th Annual Conference of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, Scientific convention center, King george’s Medical University, Lucknow : 4th to 7th November 2012
3. APSI-APSICON 2005 Ethicon Accreditation cleft course, 2012 , Administrative block, King george’s Medical University, Lucknow : 2 – 3 November 2012
4. 34th Annual conference of Indian Society for Surgery of Hand 2010 at Nashik: 26th to 28th November 2010
5. . APSI-APSICON 2005 Ethicon Accreditation Head and Neck reconstruction course, 2013 , Administrative block, King george’s Medical University, Lucknow : 22 – 23 November 2013
5. APSICON 2013: 48th Annual Conference of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, Grand Hyatt Hotel, Mumbai : 24th to 27th November 2013
1. ONCO RECON: Sept, November, December, 2011 &January, February, April, June, August 2012 at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai as delegate
2. MAPSICON 2009, biannual Conference of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of Maharashtra at Mahabaleshwar from 7-8th February 2009.
3. Aesthetic CME series – Liposuction Workshop at Seth. G. S Medical College and K.E.M Hospital, Mumbai on 26th July, 2009
4. Aesthetic Facial Augmentation – Symposium cum workshop at Grant medical college and G.T Hospital on 14th November 2009
5. Advanced Aesthetic surgery video workshop at L.T.M.M.C and L.T.M.G hospital, Mumbai on 19th August 2010
6. Flap Dissection course 2010 at B.Y.L Nair Hospital, Mumbai between 25-26th September 2010.
7. Symposium on Penile cancer and reconstruction conducted Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai on 21st Jan, 2012
8. 10th Annual conference on evidence based management of Head and Neck cancers at Tata Memorial hospital between 24-26th February 2012
9. APSI accrediated Ethicon instructional course on reconstruction of trunk and genitalia conducted by BYL Nair Hospital, Mumbai on 25-26th February 2012
10. Symposium on Maxillary tumors and reconstruction conducted by Dept. of Plastic and reconstructive surgery, Tata Memorial Hospital on 167h March, 2012
11. Symposium on Mandible tumors and reconstruction conducted by Dept. of Plastic and reconstructive surgery, Tata Memorial Hospital on 14th April, 2012
12. Symposium on Craniofacial anomalies, Craniofacial resections and reconstruction conducted by Dept. of Plastic and reconstructive on 12th May, 2012
13. Symposium on breast cancer and reconstruction conducted by Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai on 16th June, 2012
14. Women’s cancer Initiative –Tata Memorial Hospital: 10th Annual conference on Breast cancers on Locoregional Treatment of breast cancer on 20-21st Oct 2012
15. Oncosurg 2012 held at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai between 23-25th November 2012.